Ant keeping mishap

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Benjamin

Ant keeping mishap

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 am

So, I was really excited about the pupae I saw in my test tube last week. I went to check this morning and found 2 newly eclosed ants. I took a few photos and decided to put it back. What do you know? As I was putting it back, the test tube rolled of my cabinet and shattered into bits. I was stunned, I did not know what to do. Nonetheless, I used a damp toothpick to pick up as many pupae, 2 workers and the queen into a new test tube(phew...I was lucky to have one test tube setup nearby which I planned to use for my upcoming ant hunting/catching). Luckily, one of the workers had 2 larvae(maybe eggs) in its mouth.

I want to ask all of you ant experts in the forum. Do you think the colony will survive with only a few pupae, 2 workers and 2 larvae? Will the queen start laying eggs from scratch?

shaky33

Re: Ant keeping mishap

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm

Benjamin wrote:So, I was really excited about the pupae I saw in my test tube last week. I went to check this morning and found 2 newly eclosed ants. I took a few photos and decided to put it back. What do you know? As I was putting it back, the test tube rolled of my cabinet and shattered into bits. I was stunned, I did not know what to do. Nonetheless, I used a damp toothpick to pick up as many pupae, 2 workers and the queen into a new test tube(phew...I was lucky to have one test tube setup nearby which I planned to use for my upcoming ant hunting/catching). Luckily, one of the workers had 2 larvae(maybe eggs) in its mouth.

I want to ask all of you ant experts in the forum. Do you think the colony will survive with only a few pupae, 2 workers and 2 larvae? Will the queen start laying eggs from scratch?
As long as the queen wasnt overly injured she should be able to start from scratch. Maybe give them some honey.
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi

Benjamin

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:10 am

Noted. Thanks for the encouraging reply.

shaky33

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Benjamin wrote:Noted. Thanks for the encouraging reply.
You're welcome, good luck with your colony! :)
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi