Ant keeping mishap

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

Benjamin

Ant keeping mishap

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 am

So, I was really excited about the pupae I saw in my test tube last week. I went to check this morning and found 2 newly eclosed ants. I took a few photos and decided to put it back. What do you know? As I was putting it back, the test tube rolled of my cabinet and shattered into bits. I was stunned, I did not know what to do. Nonetheless, I used a damp toothpick to pick up as many pupae, 2 workers and the queen into a new test tube(phew...I was lucky to have one test tube setup nearby which I planned to use for my upcoming ant hunting/catching). Luckily, one of the workers had 2 larvae(maybe eggs) in its mouth.

I want to ask all of you ant experts in the forum. Do you think the colony will survive with only a few pupae, 2 workers and 2 larvae? Will the queen start laying eggs from scratch?

shaky33

Re: Ant keeping mishap

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm

Benjamin wrote:So, I was really excited about the pupae I saw in my test tube last week. I went to check this morning and found 2 newly eclosed ants. I took a few photos and decided to put it back. What do you know? As I was putting it back, the test tube rolled of my cabinet and shattered into bits. I was stunned, I did not know what to do. Nonetheless, I used a damp toothpick to pick up as many pupae, 2 workers and the queen into a new test tube(phew...I was lucky to have one test tube setup nearby which I planned to use for my upcoming ant hunting/catching). Luckily, one of the workers had 2 larvae(maybe eggs) in its mouth.

I want to ask all of you ant experts in the forum. Do you think the colony will survive with only a few pupae, 2 workers and 2 larvae? Will the queen start laying eggs from scratch?
As long as the queen wasnt overly injured she should be able to start from scratch. Maybe give them some honey.
Current Queens in Founding Stage (not 100%):
WE HAVE NO IDEA
Dream Queen:
Cephalote varian

Benjamin

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:10 am

Noted. Thanks for the encouraging reply.

shaky33

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Benjamin wrote:Noted. Thanks for the encouraging reply.
You're welcome, good luck with your colony! :)
Current Queens in Founding Stage (not 100%):
WE HAVE NO IDEA
Dream Queen:
Cephalote varian