Ant Keeping in BC Canada

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

MajiK604

Ant Keeping in BC Canada

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:28 pm

Hello, I have wanted to keep ants for many years now I just have not taken the plunge yet. This summer I am really wanting to start my journey in ant keeping. I'm hoping to either find a good deal for a set up and hopefully catch a queen this summer, or possibly buy a set up and also buy a queen that's easier to care for as this would be my first time other then feeding and looking after tiny black ants in my yards :P .

I'm hopeful for as much information and opportunities as I can get. I do not have alot of money to spend but me and my son love ants. I've wanted to care for ants for many years it's just hard for me to afford a set up although I know how to care for them it's the housing that would be the hardest to get. I do not want to just get test tubes and have them living that way if I cannot afford a outworld when the time comes.

I look forward to hearing from anyone and especially local's in my area. Take care
:) In my first year of ant keeping after dreaming about it for 6 years :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Ant Keeping in BC Canada

Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm

MajiK604 wrote:
Hello, I have wanted to keep ants for many years now I just have not taken the plunge yet. This summer I am really wanting to start my journey in ant keeping. I'm hoping to either find a good deal for a set up and hopefully catch a queen this summer, or possibly buy a set up and also buy a queen that's easier to care for as this would be my first time other then feeding and looking after tiny black ants in my yards :P .

I'm hopeful for as much information and opportunities as I can get. I do not have alot of money to spend but me and my son love ants. I've wanted to care for ants for many years it's just hard for me to afford a set up although I know how to care for them it's the housing that would be the hardest to get. I do not want to just get test tubes and have them living that way if I cannot afford a outworld when the time comes.

I look forward to hearing from anyone and especially local's in my area. Take care
I am not local(sorry) but I have word that Camponotus is flying in Canada right now! They usually fly during or after sunset. If you don’t have a lot of time, here is a vender in Canada I trust.
https://canada-ant-colony.com

I would recommend raising queens in tubes until you get 6-10 workers(large species, 12ish workers(medium species), or 30 workers(small species).

About the setup, what kind of setup do you want? It really depends on the ants, as the setups revolve around the ants size, colony size, ability to climb, etc. For example, some setups are vertical having a chamber under the outworld, or would you want a nest connected to ant outworld via tubing?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

MajiK604

Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:50 pm

Mostly I'm just looking for something easier to start with. I wouldn't be picky with the set up as long as it would benefit the species. As of right now I have nothing for the ants, no test tubes or even cotton. I was hoping I could possibly buy the ants and set up as a package deal that way when the time comes I would be prepared. I was also hoping that I could get a good deal and possibly a used set up if it would cost less.

I'm not sure I should catch a queen if I don't have anything suitable for them to benefit their comfort and growth. This is something I want so badly and have for over 6 years now it's just costs getting in the way. I'm worried if I catch a queen I won't have anything for them to thrive sadly

MajiK604

Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:19 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm
MajiK604 wrote:

I am not local(sorry) but I have word that Camponotus is flying in Canada right now! They usually fly during or after sunset. If you don’t have a lot of time, here is a vender in Canada I trust.
https://canada-ant-colony.com

I would recommend raising queens in tubes until you get 6-10 workers(large species, 12ish workers(medium species), or 30 workers(small species).

About the setup, what kind of setup do you want? It really depends on the ants, as the setups revolve around the ants size, colony size, ability to climb, etc. For example, some setups are vertical having a chamber under the outworld, or would you want a nest connected to ant outworld via tubing?
My bad my last reply I forgot to quote :lol:

That link you shared seems great Im definitely interested in some of the smaller kits they have. How long do you think (roughly) it would be before I would need to upgrade from those smaller cube and nest kits if for example I went with a small species?