Failing in ant keeping

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Failing in ant keeping

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 am

If you can get proper magnification. The photography link in my signature offers a couple of improvised macro solutions.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Benjamin

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:07 am

Ok. I've taken pictures of the ants(though they might not meet the requirements needed). What do I need to do to upload the pictures? Do I just send the link? If all you need is the link here it is.

Batspiderfish

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:08 pm

If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:17 pm

https://goo.gl/photos/X6t8tE3gxqkhYLbf8

Ok, so following this link, your ants are:
Camponotus sp.
Odontomachus sp.

I can't really make an attempt at the final ant(s?), the ones with wings, without a measurement in millimeters. I can at least tell that she is fully-claustral and from the Formicinae subfamily (like Camponotus).

Camponotus can be sensitive ants, and sometimes they just won't lay eggs. There are certain species in my area that will lay eggs right away, and some species which I have never been able to get started. You just have to wait and hope for the best.

Your Odontomachus queen is a semi-claustral ant, so she needs access to foraging space and small, soft-bodied insects to start a colony (i.e. cricket nymphs or vinegar flies.)

Benjamin

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:13 pm

So I don't really have to do anything but to wait again? Let's just hope for the best. I had so many failed attempts that are so demorallising and frustrating. Oh yes, could you tell me why some of my ants' eggs won't hatch? It's been close to three months and the eggs are still eggs. And also why my ant ate it's larvae and eggs?

Cale3459

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Don't get demoralized. Remember that it's only like 1% of queens that make it in the wild so you are fighting the odds starting a new colony. Any number of factors can lead to failure. Just keep reading up on care, diet, temperature, etc. and have patience. That's the one I struggle with most. I'm not naturally patient so it's my biggest struggle and here I'm at raising Camponotus lol.

Benjamin

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:37 pm

I will try my best not to be discouraged. Thank You.

zpiter

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:46 am

Nice catch there. Sadly Carebara Sp are very hard to keep. Usually female will need to mate multiples time in order to be fertile. Anyway, those queens are gone case, set them free if you can.

zpiter

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:49 am

Batspiderfish wrote:https://goo.gl/photos/X6t8tE3gxqkhYLbf8

Camponotus sp.
Odontomachus sp.

I can't really make an attempt at the final ant(s?), the ones with wings, without a measurement in millimeters. I can at least tell that she is fully-claustral and from the Formicinae subfamily (like Camponotus).

Camponotus can be sensitive ants, and sometimes they just won't lay eggs. There are certain species in my area that will lay eggs right away, and some species which I have never been able to get started. You just have to wait and hope for the best.

Your Odontomachus queen is a semi-claustral ant, so she needs access to foraging space and small, soft-bodied insects to start a colony (i.e. cricket nymphs or vinegar flies.)
The last photo is the Nylanderia sp. Very common ant in Singapore. Easy to keep and fast growing.

Batspiderfish

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:57 pm

zpiter wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:https://goo.gl/photos/X6t8tE3gxqkhYLbf8

Camponotus sp.
Odontomachus sp.

The last photo is the Nylanderia sp. Very common ant in Singapore. Easy to keep and fast growing.
What is your criteria for determining this without a measurement?