Omni nest and... termites?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

TheFlynn01

Omni nest and... termites?

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:30 am

Hello Keepers! I had a question for you all, and I am sorry if this is not the right place to put this up, but I just figured it might be okay... anyway, I have just gotten a new large omni nest and it is beautiful! I also have a friend who has termites who might be wanting to off load his colony, so do you think a omni nest would work for termites? Thanks much!

Martialis

Re: Omni nest and... termites?

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:00 pm

TheFlynn01 wrote:Hello Keepers! I had a question for you all, and I am sorry if this is not the right place to put this up, but I just figured it might be okay... anyway, I have just gotten a new large omni nest and it is beautiful! I also have a friend who has termites who might be wanting to off load his colony, so do you think a omni nest would work for termites? Thanks much!
Pretty sure it would.
Keeper of

Selliing:

TheFlynn01

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:12 am

Fair enough, we will see what he wants to do. I am tempted but at the same time, I have only kept a few colonies of pavement ants when I was younger, and none of them lasted long... so I would feel horrible to take a mature termite colony and kill it DX

Serafine

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:21 am

Termites have a habit of building structures from the wood they process (a bit like wasps) so you'll have to watch and see what they do with the formicarium.

TheFlynn01

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:53 am

It will definitely be interesting to see how it goes, but now my buddy is getting cold feet. :/ Which sucks because I really like termites, as much as I like ants haha! if only I could just buy my own king and queen like with ants.

Reevak

Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:47 am

TheFlynn01 wrote:It will definitely be interesting to see how it goes, but now my buddy is getting cold feet. :/ Which sucks because I really like termites, as much as I like ants haha! if only I could just buy my own king and queen like with ants.
How did your friend get a termite king and queen?

TheFlynn01

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Well from what he told me, he knew where some subterranean nests were and waited for their nuptial flight.

AntLove5Ever

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:30 pm

TheFlynn01 wrote:
It will definitely be interesting to see how it goes, but now my buddy is getting cold feet. :/ Which sucks because I really like termites, as much as I like ants haha! if only I could just buy my own king and queen like with ants.
IK im late to the party, but the queens are massive, so keep that in mind. Especially when it comes to vinyl tubing sizes.

Martialis

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:47 pm

AntLove5Ever wrote:
TheFlynn01 wrote:
IK im late to the party, but the queens are massive, so keep that in mind. Especially when it comes to vinyl tubing sizes.
Termite queens only grow to that size when their egg production really kicks in.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntLove5Ever

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Martialis wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:47 pm
AntLove5Ever wrote:
TheFlynn01 wrote:
Termite queens only grow to that size when their egg production really kicks in.
even so, it is a point they will reach.