witch species?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Andrew

witch species?

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Andrew, from hungary.
I would like to get into keeping ants, i found them verry interesting.

The question is, are there any species i could get, that grow big (by ant size, not by population), and can get by without hibernation ?
our climate is changing a lot, its nearly the 11.th month and usually by now a few decades back it used to rain snow, but now it looks like if it was spring allready...

Thank You for the feedback.
I don't mind if the ant colony grows slowly, i work with forests. i plant and raise them, and naturally i allso cut down areas. so patience is something i'm good at.

ScaryBuh

Re: witch species?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:25 am

You should check Camponotus sp.
Also known as carpenter ants, so if you cut a lot of trees you might find them on rotten logs.
They are big :D

Canadiananter

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:38 am

of course there are many species of solenopsis and myrmica

Andrew

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:55 pm

hmmm carpenter ants sound lovely.
where i live and work forests grow on islands of a river, sadly not many ants can be seen as the whole place gets flooded 2-3 times a year completly. i mean 2 meter water above soil. with a strong current.

can anyone tell when these carpenter ants have a nuptial flight? supposedly they should be around even in these conditions, i mean i seen them, i can recognise them.
or if someone has a queen for sale, prehaps i might buy her.

can they get by without hibernating ?