When to catch a queen in New York?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Tomtharuler

When to catch a queen in New York?

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:44 pm

I am a beginner ant keeper and have only found a queen of a social parasite species, but released her because i don't have host workers. I think its because most species nuptial flights are over by this time of year, are there any New York species that I may still be able to find that are not social parasites?

I would mostly like to keep a fire ant colony if anyone knows what time of year their flights are.
Thanks in advance.

seahehern

Re: When to catch a queen in New York?

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:26 am

There is a great video on nuptial flights by AntsCanada!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfaK8TvM0qA #AntLove.

Canadiananter

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:13 pm

Also don't listen to Mikey on how common some species are. It varies in every location

MCWren

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:55 am

Tomtharuler wrote:I am a beginner ant keeper and have only found a queen of a social parasite species, but released her because i don't have host workers. I think its because most species nuptial flights are over by this time of year, are there any New York species that I may still be able to find that are not social parasites?

I would mostly like to keep a fire ant colony if anyone knows what time of year their flights are.
Thanks in advance.
There are no fire ants in New York. If you live on Long Island or NYC, you can buy ants from me through the GAN project.

MichiganAnts

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:15 pm

look in the bark of dead/fallen trees. also under rocks