Fruit flies - How to catch?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

Fruit flies - How to catch?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:42 am

Hello guys, I have 3 Pachycondyla sp. that I captured 15/10 and 16/10, they are semi-claustral and I'm a noob ant lover. I'm having some trouble finding stuff for them to eat, I managed to catch 2 fruit flies but there's a lot of them and I don't know a good method to capture them... And after I catch how should I feed them? Alive or should I freeze, because if I'm going to feed them alive in a open outworld they will scape

GriffinAnt

Re: Fruit flies - How to catch?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:08 am

buy them online or a good pet shop

idahoantgirl

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:24 am

Don't catch bugs from outside for your ants. they most likely have pesticides and can kill your ants. buy from a pet shop at all times
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Batspiderfish

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:40 am

If you make a fruit fly grow medium (as can be found online), you can leave it outside and fruit flies will come to you. The wild ones have wings, so are kind of inconvenient to culture.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JPSMedeiros

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:21 am

idahoantgirl wrote:Don't catch bugs from outside for your ants. they most likely have pesticides and can kill your ants. buy from a pet shop at all times
GriffinAnt wrote:buy them online or a good pet shop
Batspiderfish wrote:If you make a fruit fly grow medium (as can be found online), you can leave it outside and fruit flies will come to you. The wild ones have wings, so are kind of inconvenient to culture.
Thanks for the answers, I don't know if the pet shops sell this kind of stuff here, i'll check.

Canadiananter

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:04 pm

I can relate with the using winged fruit flies part. They are extremely hard to use

JPSMedeiros

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:44 pm

Canadiananter wrote:I can relate with the using winged fruit flies part. They are extremely hard to use
Batspiderfish wrote:If you make a fruit fly grow medium (as can be found online), you can leave it outside and fruit flies will come to you. The wild ones have wings, so are kind of inconvenient to culture.
GriffinAnt wrote:buy them online or a good pet shop
I found out that here in Brazil we have the same kind of mealworms that u guys have in North America, it's called "tenébrios" here. People grow them to feed birds, I wonder if I can do the same to feed the ants, so I just buy once and then they reproduce and then I have ant food forever =D.

Batspiderfish

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:14 pm

Tenebrio molitar is the taxonomic name for most mealworms found at pet stores.

Drosophila melanogaster
is the species of fruit fly most people talk about. "Fruit fly" is a bad common name for these; vinegar fly is more appropriate.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JPSMedeiros

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks for all the help, sorry if i'm asking too much.

pedrovicentebp

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:41 pm

I found out that here in Brazil we have the same kind of mealworms that u guys have in North America, it's called "tenébrios" here. People grow them to feed birds, I wonder if I can do the same to feed the ants, so I just buy once and then they reproduce and then I have ant food forever =D.[/quote]

yes you can grow these mealworms for ants :geek: