MOLD CRISIS!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Antlover84

MOLD CRISIS!

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:11 pm

I put a banana slice in my ant hill a few days ago, and now it is EXPLODING with mold! What should I do? I can't reach it, and I know the mold will only get worse! Will it hurt my ants in a huge open space? Will they eat the mold? I don't want to lose ants! :o :o :o

AnthonyP163

Re: MOLD CRISIS!

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:17 pm

I don't understand... How come you can't reach it? Just take it out...

Or, if your colony is in their outworld (naturalistic setup) then just don't water that spot, as moisture helps mold.

Chewyrockafeller

Re: MOLD CRISIS!

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:04 pm

"In my ant hill" I think they put the food in the nest and the ants dragged it deeper. I see three options:

1: Hope they bury/eat it enough (unlikely)
2: Follow the AntsCanada video of transferring ants to a new setup aka DON'T SHAKE/FORCE THEM! Use light and heat to 'encourage them' Nest cycling is a very beneficial processes for the ant keeper and the pet ants.
3: Put them in the fridge/cold temp for a couple mins, remove viewing panel and QUICKLY clean. (dangerous?)

Obviously there are caveats and exceptions to each solution.