What species should I keep?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Loolmanlegacy

What species should I keep?

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:55 am

It is almost spring in Australia and I’m considering my options. I think I.bickenilli could be good but I heard they are escape artists and can be hard to handle when mature. Then, I looked at r.Metallica (amazing shiny look). They have no ability to climb, but they can sting. Maybe gloves will fix the problems? The bad thing about keeping this ant is that the queen is (I think) semi-claustal. Anyways, I don’t know what species to keep. Thank you for your help
Keeper of:
1x Iridomyrmex bickenilli, first workers

antlover69420

Re: What species should I keep?

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:16 am

I recommend black crazy ants ever(paratrechina longicornis)because its very easy to keep and they don't sting nor bite if you work on them just remember black crazy ant queens are capable of double cloning so yeah catching 2 queens and someday you would realise that the queens have grown in numbers

Loolmanlegacy

Re: What species should I keep?

Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Thanks. Native to Australia?
Keeper of:
1x Iridomyrmex bickenilli, first workers