Ant Garden?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

WhisperWolf

Ant Garden?

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:01 pm

This is going to sound like a very strange question, and I'm sorry for my naivety. But I've been fairly obsessed with AntsCanada for about the last year, watching videos and such, and I want to start my own colony. I am also in the process of trying to start my own home garden. Does anyone know if there is an ant that would be a good choice for me to have as an ant colony IN my garden bed? I want to do a couple indoor herbs, and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can combine the two projects, as ants are good for plants.
I live in Minnesota, so my options on ants are fairly limited. I intend to go out tomorrow, as we are supposed to get a thunderstorm tonight, and start looking for Queens.

Hawkeye

Re: Ant Garden?

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:37 am

WhisperWolf wrote:
This is going to sound like a very strange question, and I'm sorry for my naivety. But I've been fairly obsessed with AntsCanada for about the last year, watching videos and such, and I want to start my own colony. I am also in the process of trying to start my own home garden. Does anyone know if there is an ant that would be a good choice for me to have as an ant colony IN my garden bed? I want to do a couple indoor herbs, and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can combine the two projects, as ants are good for plants.
I live in Minnesota, so my options on ants are fairly limited. I intend to go out tomorrow, as we are supposed to get a thunderstorm tonight, and start looking for Queens.
Am i right in thinking you want to build a natural setup for your ants which is planted with herbs? If so you might want to be careful about which herbs you pick. Some are natural insect repellents.
Otherwise having plants in say an aquarium and having ants in the same tank should be fine. Provided the plants don't offer the ants a way to escape of course.

QJH2023

Re: Ant Garden?

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:21 pm

WhisperWolf wrote:
Im from Minnesota and we have some of the best selection of ants great camponotus species and great formica and the best myrmica
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile