Queen Ant + Water Bottle

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

Queen Ant + Water Bottle

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Hello, I just captured an ant Queen but I'm not at home and don't have a test tube to place her, the best thing that I could find was an empty water bottle. It's OK to leave her inside the water bottle for like 4 days ? Thanks for the help.

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen Ant + Water Bottle

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:13 pm

I would suggest somewhat dampenned coffee filter, as a wet cotton ball could potentially roll over your queen.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JPSMedeiros

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:49 pm

But can she breath with the bottle capped ? Should I make small holes ?

martinnate

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:12 pm

Ok I'm a little late on getting to you but next time you can just put the cotton ball in the opening where the lid was, if one wont fit use 2 or 3. How is the Queen and what kind is she? if you don't mind me asking.