Urgent question, honey spread onto brood

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ImYume

Urgent question, honey spread onto brood

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I was checking on one of my test tube setups with nanitics that I had given a drop of honey and noticed that the honey dripped all the way down the tube and came into contact with the brood. I think I may have placed the tube on a slightly uneven surface without noticing. I quickly wiped away the honey but there is still some around the brood (touching them) that I cannot access without potentially hurting the larvae/pupa. The workers and the queen seem to be okay but they are huddled very close to the water-cotton barrier, I'm guessing the honey pushed them back or something, they were never settled this close to the water source before.

Will this be okay? I'm not sure what I can really do at this point.

Thank you,

Solenopsisace

Re: Urgent question, honey spread onto brood

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:09 pm

I would wet a q-tip try and gently spread the honey as thin as possible against the glass of the test tube and then let the nantics and queen get the brood out themselves without getting stuck. Just hope the drop of Honey wasn't too big so that the watered-down Q-tip can spread it real thin.

ImYume

Re: Urgent question, honey spread onto brood

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:11 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:I would wet a q-tip try and gently spread the honey as thin as possible against the glass of the test tube and then let the nantics and queen get the brood out themselves without getting stuck. Just hope the drop of Honey wasn't too big so that the watered-down Q-tip can spread it real thin.
Thanks for your advice :) It worked quite well. The workers managed to get the brood unstuck quickly.