Can I raise my ants with fruit fly?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

MikePH

Can I raise my ants with fruit fly?

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:56 am

I have a fruit fly with wings I'm not sure if i should feed my ants with it or not
is it healthy for my ants?
:?: :?: :?:

Antscanada73

Re: Can I raise my ants with fruit fly?

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:15 pm

MikePH wrote:I have a fruit fly with wings I'm not sure if i should feed my ants with it or not
is it healthy for my ants?
:?: :?: :?:
Not a clue. Sorry.

Acorns

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:18 pm

If it is a culture you have than I would say yes it is ok if it is wild caught you run the risk of anything it has come in contact with transferring toy our ants and colony. You can put a cup in freezer for 15 min put fly in cup as long as it hits the cup it will go to sleep return to freezer for another 15 min to freeze solid. Remove and sit on counter for 15 min and then offer to ants. that would help reduce the risk of any parasites it may have.

MikePH

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:22 am

Acorns wrote:If it is a culture you have than I would say yes it is ok if it is wild caught you run the risk of anything it has come in contact with transferring toy our ants and colony. You can put a cup in freezer for 15 min put fly in cup as long as it hits the cup it will go to sleep return to freezer for another 15 min to freeze solid. Remove and sit on counter for 15 min and then offer to ants. that would help reduce the risk of any parasites it may have.
Can i make my own culture taken from the wild?
Thank you!
:D :D

Rovvov99

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:53 am

You could do that, but than you keep the risk of parasite.
It is best to just buy them.

SweetDirtyTooth

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:17 am

If you buy them from pet stores or some places online, then you can cultivate them, that's what I did with mealworms