Camponotus cf. Maculatus

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

fatkidinside7

Camponotus cf. Maculatus

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi guys! I have 2 queens of Camponotus cf. Maculatus in two separate test tube setups. Each of them have nanitics already but I'm still waiting for more nanitics before I move them into a formicarium.

I wanna ask if these ants are polygynous. Can these two queens be put in a single formicarium? I hope there are because it would be so exciting to see polygynous queens. I saw some pictures of other Camponotus species in a formicarium and I noticed that some of those pictures had multiple queens in a single formicarium so I have my hopes up. Hehehe. Thank you in advance!!! :D

idahoantgirl

Re: Camponotus cf. Maculatus

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 pm

at this stage, no you cant. the workers and queens would rip each other apart. it may have worked if you had put them together at the very very first but for sure wont work now.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

fatkidinside7

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:34 am

idahoantgirl wrote:at this stage, no you cant. the workers and queens would rip each other apart. it may have worked if you had put them together at the very very first but for sure wont work now.

Aww. That sucks. Hahhaa. I should have done that before. I didn't cause I didn't know it was possible and there was always the reminder "they might kill each other if you put the queens together." Hahaha.

Is there really no chance of it working? Hahaha. xD *just thinking positively here* T_T

idahoantgirl

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:56 am

well, I'm not an expert but I am very sure. I would suggest talking to some of the more experienced ant keepers on this forum and seeing what they have to say about it.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

fatkidinside7

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:38 am

Hahaha. Well, thanks a bunch anyways! :D