Help.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Antastic

Re: Help.

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:08 am

Acorns wrote:5 min in microwave 1-2 hour cool down and every living thing that used to be in the sand= DEAD.
what if i don't have any microwave ? :o :(

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:23 am

Acorns wrote:5 min in microwave 1-2 hour cool down and every living thing that used to be in the sand= DEAD.
Ants can apparently survive the microwave because they are small enough to evade the microwaves. I bet some things still survive a nuking in the microwave. I wonder if boiling is an option. I bet that works well, too.
Ant Love Forever.

Antastic

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:44 pm

AntsCanada wrote:
Ants can apparently survive the microwave because they are small enough to evade the microwaves. I bet some things still survive a nuking in the microwave. I wonder if boiling is an option. I bet that works well, too.
What if i don't have any microwave ? . Is it ok to put my sand in to a casserole and put water in it . The boil . :)

Acorns

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:14 pm

the reason for 5 min in microwave is it will get the temperature up to 180f and the heat is what kills the organisms in the sand . If you do not have a micro then use an oven 350f for 1 hour and your are golden . Boiling is an option but you need to let the soil dry out after and it is messy. Most reptile shops sell bags of sand that are sterilized here is such a product
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Excavator ... B000N5OM8S
It has sand and clay and with a little water is moldable to make a mound type entrance.

Antastic

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:51 pm

Acorns wrote:the reason for 5 min in microwave is it will get the temperature up to 180f and the heat is what kills the organisms in the sand . If you do not have a micro then use an oven 350f for 1 hour and your are golden . Boiling is an option but you need to let the soil dry out after and it is messy. Most reptile shops sell bags of sand that are sterilized here is such a product
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Excavator ... B000N5OM8S
It has sand and clay and with a little water is moldable to make a mound type entrance.
But but but.. We don't have an oven/micro etc. But i have a casserole . And what do you mean in the part where you say "Boiling is an option but you need to let the soil dry out after and it is messy'' ?

Antastic

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:16 am

Jonathan21700 wrote:I don't think there is any need for this. Not the soil molds but the things on it like dead insect parts and stuff. Also if there is good ventilation there shouldn't be a problem.
Okay :) . thanks for the tips and advice guys ! Really helped a lot :D But if there's few for important things you would like to share . Please do post it :) Peace