Omni nest or hybrid

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Schmoo

Omni nest or hybrid

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:09 pm

Hello,
My first queen (Camponotus) just laid eggs and now I am starting to plan the formicarium. I was wondering which is better the omni nest or the hybrids that are sold on AntsCanada. I like the omni because, obviously, it is clear and also that it can be easily cleaned. Also, one can access all the chambers individually. However, I am a little concerned about keeping it dark. How is this done? Do people keep it in a dark room (hard to dedicate a room to darkness) or is there some sort of cover?

I like the hybrid nest because it already comes with the ability to be covered. One more question, are there planes for a larger hybrid formicarium? I see there are only smalls online.

Thanks for your help!

idahoantgirl

Re: Omni nest or hybrid

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:27 pm

they used to have the large hybrids but now they are in such high demand that they are only selling the smalls.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

KvnRepublic

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:02 pm

I also was wondering between the Omni nest or hybrid nest and does anyone know if you have to keep the Omni nests in the dark?

idahoantgirl

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:18 pm

KvnRepublic wrote:I also was wondering between the Omni nest or hybrid nest and does anyone know if you have to keep the Omni nests in the dark?
There is no cover included. I think the idea with the omni nest is that you sort of train your ants to be okay with the light. Of course if you really wanted to keep them dark you could do this:
take a cardboard box that has a bottom the same size as the nest but a bit bigger. line the box with white paper. ( you can glue or staple it on.) this way when you want to view them they show against the cardboard. you can make a lid with another peice of cardboard, blanket, or a lot of other things. It definetly wont be the prettiest thing in the world but it would probably work. You would just have to drill holes in the side to let the tubing through. If anyone has an Idea that would look better, feel free to post.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

KvnRepublic

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks for that, I think I will go with the omni nest because my ants are okay with light.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Schmoo wrote:Hello,
My first queen (Camponotus) just laid eggs and now I am starting to plan the formicarium. I was wondering which is better the omni nest or the hybrids that are sold on AntsCanada. I like the omni because, obviously, it is clear and also that it can be easily cleaned. Also, one can access all the chambers individually. However, I am a little concerned about keeping it dark. How is this done? Do people keep it in a dark room (hard to dedicate a room to darkness) or is there some sort of cover?

I like the hybrid nest because it already comes with the ability to be covered. One more question, are there planes for a larger hybrid formicarium? I see there are only smalls online.

Thanks for your help!
There are plans to bring the Hybrid Large back. We are actually working on that now and hopefully will have something to offer in the AC Store soon.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Schmoo

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Is it ok to train the ants for light? Does it have any negative effect?

idahoantgirl

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:48 pm

I dont think so, maybe it might stress them out but that should only last a short while.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,