Which to pick? (U.S. IL)

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

qwertyimp1

Which to pick? (U.S. IL)

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi, I live in northern Illinois and had an interest in keeping an ant colony for a while now.
I've done a little research on the two types of ants I've been considering, Camponotus pennsylvanicus and some kind of Tetramorium (Tetramorium caespitum, I think), however due to the fact they are more so considered pests here it's hard to find too much on them. Could someone give some advice on which ones would be best for beginners? If you have a suggestion for another type I should consider that would be helpful as well.

AntsRule

Re: Which to pick? (U.S. IL)

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:52 pm

qwertyimp1 wrote:Hi, I live in northern Illinois and had an interest in keeping an ant colony for a while now.
I've done a little research on the two types of ants I've been considering, Camponotus pennsylvanicus and some kind of Tetramorium (Tetramorium caespitum, I think), however due to the fact they are more so considered pests here it's hard to find too much on them. Could someone give some advice on which ones would be best for beginners? If you have a suggestion for another type I should consider that would be helpful as well.
I am not sure about the tertamorium but I do know that camponotus p. is pretty easy too keep. They grow slowly though. Plus they are very big so it is easy too prevent escapes. I have heard that lasius niger and lasius neoniger are great beginner sp. also. :D Are you planning on catching your own? If so I would get too it, because Camponotus flights have started to slow down and tertamorium are very abundant now.(at least in PA, but flights usually happen in about the same months throughout the us.)Hope that helps! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

idahoantgirl

Re: Which to pick? (U.S. IL)

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:50 pm

both camponautice and tetramorium are good beginner species. here are the pros and cons of both

Camponautice
Pros
easy to contain and prevent escapes
big and easy to view

cons
they take FOREVER to mature. the egg to worker time is a minimum of 2 months

Tetramorium
Pros
they grow very fast
they are active quick and fun to watch
they are considered one of the very easiest to keep

cons
They can be difficult to contain and would definitely need a layer of fluon (insect a slip) in the outworld and a lid
Ive heard that they can be somewhat dirty so you may need to cycle nests more often

I have never kept camponautuce ants before, but I do have 6 tetramorium queens that are still in the larva stage of development. Like antsrule said, Lasius ants are also very fun and easy. I have a lasius neoniger queen right now.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile