I don't even have a queen!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

DoctorFez

I don't even have a queen!

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:54 pm

Hello,

I was wondering what I should do to start off my ant farming hobby? I don't have a queen. No workers (obviously). No formicarium. No outworld. Nothing. So what should I do to start off this amazing hobby?

Carl75

Re: I don't even have a queen!

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:17 am

Research ant species and care. Find species that are available where you live.

Buy or make a formicarium and outworld. You can wait until you have your queen and some workers as it's best to keep them in a test tube setup for awhile.

Catch a queen during the nuptial flight or buy one on the Internet.

SweetDirtyTooth

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:49 am

As said above, don't really bother on nests and that sort until you have your Queen and many workers. You could catch Queens in your area or buy them from local private sellers or from the Gan Project here at AntsCanada.

Once you have a Queen and some workers the nest can be bought off online or made yourself, they are tons of tutorials in YouTube on how to make nests. And many suppliers online that sell them if you'd rather buy them! AntsCanada is one of those sellers.

Have you watched AntsCanada videos and tutorials??? I always loved ants since I was a kid but I never really though of the hobby or the possibility of keeping ants until I saw most videos at AntsCanada so I suggest you search him on YouTube.

raxsoller

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:46 am

buy test tube and always bring some where ever you go. You dont know when you find a queen.

Benbo1

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:54 am

Yes what your saying is true the other week I was riding my bike to our local shop around three miles luckily I had a tub other wise I would not have been able to get my Lasius Niger queen.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:42 am

Looks like there are two GAN farmers in Florida. Check it out here:

http://AntsCanada.com/live-queens-for-sale
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

WillWithAnts

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Most importantly, do your research! Good luck!
P.S. There are many great video journals on Youtube and written journals here on the forum. You can learn a ton from them.