My queen

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

xiCyro

My queen

Mon May 30, 2016 6:05 pm

OK so I live in Florida I'm 12 so please don't hate or whatever if I say something wrong I'm new to ant keeping I recently by recently I mean today I caught an ant its big it has a small faster and medium sized mandibles that go straight and look like siccors it is also black with orange legs and seems pretty calm in the testube setup please tell me what it is and if its fc or sc or parasitic

larynx

Re: My queen

Mon May 30, 2016 6:47 pm

you literally just described over half the ants on the planet.lol. here is a link to our ant species ID center. >>>http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewforum.php?f=48

just read the "how to section" and such before posting, it will make it alot easier for you and anyone trying to ID your ant. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

AntsRule

Mon May 30, 2016 6:53 pm

xiCyro wrote:OK so I live in Florida I'm 12 so please don't hate or whatever if I say something wrong I'm new to ant keeping
Welcome! Do not worry this is a very negative-free and friendly forum! :D Possibly a trap jaw ant but without, a clear picture, size in millimeters, and date caught there is no way to tell. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

AntsRule

Mon May 30, 2016 6:55 pm

ARGG why am I so good at writing a post while someone is posting :lol: Double the info I guess :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

larynx

Mon May 30, 2016 6:59 pm

AntsRule wrote:ARGG why am I so good at writing a post while someone is posting :lol: Double the info I guess :D
haha. you got to get a side kick like Deadpool to run your messages out faster........ the rocket helps too.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

xiCyro

Mon May 30, 2016 7:31 pm

OK so I just found out it is a trap jaw 11 mm it was caught may 30 7:26Am I think it is a semi claustral so I put the testube in the out world and she just keeps exploring the out world and dose not go back in the test tube I gave her a tiny piece of watermelon she smelled it and walked away is that bad?

larynx

Mon May 30, 2016 8:22 pm

xiCyro wrote:OK so I just found out it is a trap jaw 11 mm it was caught may 30 7:26Am I think it is a semi claustral so I put the testube in the out world and she just keeps exploring the out world and dose not go back in the test tube I gave her a tiny piece of watermelon she smelled it and walked away is that bad?
you really should get a positive ID, before trying to care for it. you also need to know if it is even a queen. here is a link to properly post for an ID.>>>http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewforum.php?f=48
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Mon May 30, 2016 8:49 pm

larynx wrote:
xiCyro wrote:OK so I just found out it is a trap jaw 11 mm it was caught may 30 7:26Am I think it is a semi claustral so I put the testube in the out world and she just keeps exploring the out world and dose not go back in the test tube I gave her a tiny piece of watermelon she smelled it and walked away is that bad?
you really should get a positive ID, before trying to care for it. you also need to know if it is even a queen. here is a link to properly post for an ID.>>>http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewforum.php?f=48
some trap jaw ants (if thats what you have) are carnivorous, and may not want the watermelon. most species are simi-claustral, and some are fully-claustral. im sure there may be a parasitic species as well. all of the aforementioned cases will require different care.
a picture and a proper ID ing in the right place will help you get all this info.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

xiCyro

Mon May 30, 2016 9:02 pm

Ok she is a odontomachus brunneus just found out deffinetly a queen right now she exited her tube and is wandering around the out world 2 questions will she go back to her tube and what should I feed her
and or if I should she only been in captivity 15 he's

larynx

Mon May 30, 2016 9:16 pm

really dude? lol. we cant help you if you are going to ignore what we are posting. READ..>>>http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=292
last time im touching this post. wow!
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer