My First Queen

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

techno2560

My First Queen

Mon May 30, 2016 11:40 am

I had luckily caught my first queen the other day(well she came to me LOL). Im 99% positive that it is a type of camponotus,i will include pictures when i get a macro lense.

So i have a question, i had looked around but couldn't find an answer. How long should i keep the queen before releasing her back into the wild (AKA safe to assume that she's not fertile)? I know it could take a few days to a week for egg laying but what should be the maximum time i should wait?

Solenopsisace

Re: My First Queen

Mon May 30, 2016 12:13 pm

I know my solenopsis I have take 1 to 3 months before the first brewed. So it really depends on the species and I suppose the temperature and humidity and how relaxed she is. Just put it in the drawer for a month make sure she has enough water for three to four weeks and then check on her. I know it sucks my first time I kept peeking in ever since I stopped and controlled myself the Queen's actually lay eggs faster without me putting them in the light an moving the tube around all the time 8-)

techno2560

Mon May 30, 2016 1:56 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:I know my solenopsis I have take 1 to 3 months before the first brewed. So it really depends on the species and I suppose the temperature and humidity and how relaxed she is.
Hmm 1 to 3 months... Does that mean i should put some kind of food in there since that's much longer than a few weeks lol? I mean she still has her wings so i'm sure she has all that energy stored up for reserves.

larynx

Mon May 30, 2016 2:31 pm

she will be fine if female.
this queen has been in a tube for around 2.5 months now and just fine. only fed after workers started trying to forage. Image

this one has been in for the same amount of time with no eggs or anything and she is fine too.Image

and these Formica Sp. queens have been in tubes since early last season, and been put in and taken out of hibernation, being stubborn, also with no feeding.Image

the only time you really "need" to feed a "fully claustral" queen is if she gets skinny.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer