Help

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

MessyJesse

Help

Sun May 29, 2016 5:41 pm

So I'm at a friend's house enjoying the sun and the pool. I have managed to rescue 73 queens from the water but only have like 9 containers on hand to hold them. It will be a few hours till I'm able to get home to separate them all into individual test tubes. Will they be fine till then so long as I put a water soaked cotton ball in each container?

larynx

Re: Help

Sun May 29, 2016 5:59 pm

thats what i do when i have to keep them for a bit before separating. in a container with a wet cotton piece. just remember keep them out of the sun, as you dont want to cook them with the greenhouse effect it will make.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MessyJesse

Sun May 29, 2016 6:39 pm

They are tucked away in the shade for now. I will get some pictures when I get to the house and get them in their test tubes. I'm hoping that with as many males that I also found in the water with them that these ladies have mated.

Solenopsisace

Sun May 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Ya ive had to do that to lol.ive had to even put some in my cigarette cellophane. As long as you don't have them in your pocket taking them all together they may not kill each other before you can separate them. It really depends on the species an aggressive type like solid ounces maybe you will have a slight chance :D

MessyJesse

Sun May 29, 2016 11:45 pm

Well I got them home and into test tubes. 70 survived the temporary storage. Not bad I think for my first big heal.

I have not gotten any photos of them yet but they all look the same as far as color goes. They vary a little in length tho but not that much. They all look like the queen I found Tuesday the pics of her are in this thread http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1037 still not sure on the identity. Got mixed thoughts in there.