Are these queen ants?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

art2rugrace

Are these queen ants?

Fri May 27, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi! I've been trying to get queen ants and a friend of mine gave me around 20+ queen ants last night in a wilkins 6k ml bottle. Seems too many for me. And i'm not sure if its they are queen ant or termite.. I'm hoping pros here could help me to identify if it is a queen ant. So i can put them in a proper test tube set up. Or whats the best way to do it. Will leaving them in the big bottle gives me a more sure shot for them to mate and then having fertile queens? Help! :?

AntsRule

Re: Are these queen ants?

Fri May 27, 2016 8:25 pm

I am confused, have they mated yet? Do you have both males and queens? Separate them or they will fight to the death. They also need water because some queens will die in 18 hours without water. From what I can tell most look like males but I am not sure. What is the size,location caught, and day/time caught? Sorry for all the questions but they are important. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

art2rugrace

Fri May 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi! We are here in manila, philippines. They were caught yesterday. Not sure the time yet. He just caught each one of these and put them together in the bottle.. How can we identify if its queen or males? The one is test tube is one of them. Since i only have 1 tube left. Plan to buy more today. Hope they stay alive till then. Please help so i can separate the queen if theres any. :)

larynx

Fri May 27, 2016 9:37 pm

art2rugrace wrote:Hi! We are here in manila, philippines. They were caught yesterday. Not sure the time yet. He just caught each one of these and put them together in the bottle.. How can we identify if its queen or males? The one is test tube is one of them. Since i only have 1 tube left. Plan to buy more today. Hope they stay alive till then. Please help so i can separate the queen if theres any. :)
in the Philippines??? you need to ask mikey bustos about this one.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer