Lasius Niger

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Sledge

Lasius Niger

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:46 am

Hello guys, I live in the Netherlands and want to keep a colony when I move out of my parents house. I found that the most general ant found here is from the Lasius Niger. However I have a lot of trouble to find information about them. Preferably I would like to have done all my research before I start. I hope someone can patch me up on the characteristics of a Lasius Niger colony. Thanks for checking.

oOFutteOo

Re: Lasius Niger

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:42 am

Hey

As far as i understand "The black knights" are a Lasius niger colleny, so you could start with the videos of them in the AntsCanada chanal on youtube.
I'm new as well and hope to catch a queen this summer, if you want to bye a ants (if you fail to catch a queen) check out the GAN project there is a GAN farmer in the nether lands so your in luck ;)

Go Here to look at the GAN projeckt (witch is cool :D )
http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/
Go To "Filter By Country"
Look For Country
Find State/County

PS. there is a strict no bye, sell or trade of ants on this forum

NikolaMladenovic

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 am

No The Black Knights are a black crazy ant colony (Paratrechina Longicornis) You can tell since they are slimmer and darker than Lasius Niger ants.
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

NikolaMladenovic

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:20 am

If you want me to I can gladly share the information I have gathered keeping 4 different Lasius Niger colonies in total. Ask me thr questions you have and I'll answer and link you to some sites that I think are good.
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol: